by Jeff Johnston -
Thursday, April 16, 2015
1. It takes a year or more to get a silencer.
“Reality is that the BATF's wait time is around 3 months,” said Jeremy Mallette of Silencer Shop. Then it's up to the dealer to get your silencer to you.
2. The ATF can enter your house at any time.
“Reality is, you have the same rights as before you purchased a silencer,” said Mallette.
3. You have to pay an annual fee to own a silencer.
Nope; it's a one-time $200 tax stamp per silencer.
4. You can only use your silencer on one gun.
Incorrect; you can use it on any gun.
5. You must have a class III license to own one.
“Reality is, only your FFL needs a Class III license to buy and sell without paying a tax. You can own a silencer with a $200 tax stamp,” said Mallette.
E-mail your comments/questions about this site to:NRAFamilyInsights@nrahq.orgYou can contact the NRA via phone at: NRA Member Programs1-800-672-3888
To advertise on NRA Family, visit nramediakit.com for more information